My Photo
Name:
Location: Bogota, Cundinamarca, Colombia

I moved to Bogota, Colombia to start an orphanage two and half years ago and its been a wonderful journey, and now I continue to work with the orphanage from Portland, Oregon.

Saturday, January 05, 2008

A Great New Year

Wow, it has been like 3 months since my last blog and I am really sorry for such the long wait. Now your countless days and your restless nights of waiting for this blog are over. There is a so much to share with you all, so grab a snack (left over turkey, mom’s cookies, or a chimichanga) and let’s get started.

The Orphanage
We spent the month of November preparing the house and checking every box on the long list of requirements that the Government gave us. We had 50-60 people from the church come and help clean the house and get it ready for the health inspector. We received our health department license after jumping through many a hoop. In the meantime, I was especially busy finishing the bunk beds and making some alterations to the kitchen. Now, because we are renting the house (which is connected to the church) we are trying to minimize our investment into the house, and instead invest in things we could possibly move in case we buy our own house some day.

We have yet one more visit which is the final visit right before the girls arrive. In order to have this visit we need six months of operating costs in the bank ($30,000); we have $25,000 in the bank right now. We also need to have the house detailed down to the very last sheet, spoon, and toothbrush. So Pastor Libni and I will be going out this Tuesday to buy these things. The church here is covering some of these costs; however, there are a lot of little things to buy, including 20 mattresses ($100 a piece). Many people have been extremely generous in giving and we are so blessed by their willingness to be apart of such a life-giving ministry. For those of you wondering how you can be involved or how you can give, I will explain in the next chapter what things you can do to help.

Coming home or something like it…
A day before Thanksgiving I boarded a plane north-bound to NYC with Pastor Libni and his wife Natalia. We spent three days in NYC with Natalia’s brothers and family (which she had only seen once in the past 10 years). Then we left to Batavia, NY to speak at Northgate Church. Jeff Harmon (the church administrator) had been kind enough to invite us to Northgate, where we were warmly welcomed. Libni preached and I translated, and despite the fact that I had chicken pox and an eye infection, the services went well. Needless to say, I looked like a poor down-trodden missionary, which really wasn’t the intent but you got to go with what you got. Our last day in Batavia we got to see Niagra Falls, and later got involved in a Monopoly game with Jeff. Before the night was out, I was making payments on my own watch and felt like a three-year-old playing Donald Trump.

After a long cross-country flight we arrived in snowy Spokane, Washington. Instead of taking the familiar South Hill exit to my old house, I headed north to see my parents' new house for the first time. Coming back to Spokane after a year and a half abroad had its own adjustments, such as staying in a new house. However, the adjustment went really quick as I took to improving my pool game in between seeing friends. We spoke again at Timberview Christian Fellowship (my sending church) and at New Community (my college church). We also spoke for the college group at Lifecenter Church which went really well. During each one of our opportunities to speak, we were amazed at how God spoke to people in specific ways…sometimes very different than what the sermon was about. A special thanks to my parents and Jerry Sittser (new father-in-law, read on) for hosting dessert parties, so that we were able to speak to smaller groups of people interested in the orphanage.

Throughout all our many conversations about the orphanage and the great work that God is doing in Colombia, we were amazed at how generously people gave and how much they truly wanted to be a part of what is happening. This might not sound shocking to you, but for me, I was reminded how generous Americans really are and how important a role the international church body will play in Bogota.

After several suggestions, I was persuaded to arrange some sort of catalog for those of you reading that might want to support the orphanage financially. As you might guess, orphanages are costly and like any business the big expenses come in the first year or two. Sustainability is our goal, and an attainable goal at that, not just a wish. However, with your help we can create a comfortable living environment for these girls and be a part of changing their lives forever. Our needs (in order of greatest to least) are:

1. Support per girl (which covers rent, utilities, food, clothing, school supplies…etc) $250/child
2. Mattresses (Long lasting thick foam with waterproof cover, with 8 year warranty) $100/mattress
3. Dish set (Plate, Bowl, Silverware and Cup) $10/set
4. Sheet set (bottom sheet, top sheet, blanket and pillowcase) $60
5. Towels (cleaning, bathing and cooking) $350 total

Several of you have given generously and every cent of it is going towards preparing this house. However, I know many of you have wanted to give but don’t know how or who to give to. The following are our present tangible needs; any help is welcome. All checks should be written out to Timberview Christian Fellowship (for tax purposes) and in the memo line write Bogota, Colombia Orphanage. Please send checks to 5424 E. Stoneman rd. Spokane, Wa 99217.

I am not one to plug giving a lot, but I have seen several examples of how God blesses those who give generously. A great example of this is a woman named Erlinda in our church. She is a beautiful black woman, who has had a really hard life. In spite of having an abusive ex-husband and working 70+ hour weeks cleaning houses to feed her three children, she is always smiling and thankful for her blessings. A year ago she was granted a full time position cleaning at Caracol (a big T.V. and radio company). After receiving her new position she told Pastor Libni that she wanted to give more than just her regular tithe in thanks for what God had blessed her with. Throughout this year she has continued to give more than what one might think was fiscally wise and it has been a challenge for her to do so. Two months ago, her boss surprised her with a house. That’s right, a house. The company gives away a house every year to one of its several thousand employees who is financially challenged. Her name came up in discussion and she was chosen as this year’s recipient. All this to say, we are a blessed people and no matter where we live or what we do, giving is something we can all do more.

A Helicopter, A Ring, and an Engagement
How do these all relate?!!! Well, I’ll tell you. About a month into dating Catherine (last February) I knew I had to marry her and that if we didn’t screw anything up, that’s where our relationship was most likely headed. Though she lacked this same prophetic insight for the first 6 months of our relationship, I was quietly set on marrying her. I had my doubts as anyone does, but when things worked out so perfectly for her to come down to Bogota to teach, I was reassured that she was the woman for me. We talked about marriage throughout the fall and even looked at rings online, but I kept her guessing and wondering what the future laid in store. Meanwhile, in early August I called Inland Helicopters (a heli charter business based out of Felt's Field in Spokane) and began brainstorming and bartering. My plan was set around early September; however, she knew nothing. After asking Jerry for Catherine’s hand in marriage, I drove to Seattle with David and John (Catherine’s bros) to pick her up at the airport. Four days later she arrived at my house to pick me up to go out to eat with our good friends Justin and Heather. My dad called right when she entered the door (all planned) saying that he needed me to drop a couple packages off at Felt's Field for his business because they needed to ship to Seattle that night. After some well-scripted arguing, I agreed to do so despite Catherine’s agitated gestures indicating we were already late to meet our friends. We arrived at Felt's Field (an old small airport in the middle of nowhere) and I went in with the two boxes. I went to the top room which was a small observation deck with windows on all sides. I set up pictures of us as kids up through our college years and lit the room with little candles. She was a little impatient due to the long time it took to set up and almost saw everything before I called her up, but fortunately she had no idea what was about to happen, so it went off without any major hitches. I proposed and she said yes and we talked for a little bit. I told her we had a few more things planned and that she needed to pack the pics up in the boxes, put them in her car, lock it, and meet me back inside. With a puzzled look, she gleefully scampered off and met me back in the lobby after she had parked the car. We walked out the door onto the tarmac and she asked why we weren’t taking the car. “Well, the roads are pretty icy tonight so it's not safe to drive,” I responded. As we started towards the heli pad she laughed and called me ridiculous. We got in the chopper and hovered over Spokane, got a tour of Coeur d' Alaine Lake and its Christmas lights, and landed in a parking lot next to the resort. Upon entering the restaurant at the resort, we were greeted by our families and friends.

We will be getting married on July 25th, so put the date on your calendar.

Last Words…..
I was reminded of something so very important a few days before I left the US. I had a wonderful conversation with some family friends who reminded me of something I had forgotten in the busyness of holidays and work. Coming from pure hearts, they reminded me that Christ is and should always be the center of my life. One can easily dismiss such statements as cliché, token Christian phrases, but this simple reminder fell heavy on my heart. I had been feeling tired, exhausted by appointments, and the idea of getting back to work in a few days was an overwhelming thought. I was convicted of how much of my life I live without praying or spending time with Christ. The ironic thing is I get all jazzed up about helping others (starting the orphanage or hearing about great people helping the needy) and I get all emotional when I hear a story that portrays the power of grace and forgiveness. Yet the very being that perfectly represents all these characteristics and promises to draw near to me if I would only give him time, I shun or relegate to a 10-minute session in the morning. It seems like such a no-brainer, but laziness and busyness complicate what should be my first priority of everyday. Jesus, stay close to me and give me the wisdom and strength to draw close to you in busy times and relaxing times. Thank you for your faithfulness.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and please keep me up to date on your life. Take care.

3 Comments:

Blogger the o's said...

jake it's so great to hear about your life and all that is happening - thanks for the updates and keep them coming. glad you arrived safely in bogota! love you, eo

5:45 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Hey bro, It's so good to hear from you and keep updated on your life. Such great things have been happening! Congratulations again on your engagement, I recommend marriage, its such a rewarding relationship!

10:23 AM  
Blogger Janette said...

Hey Jacob,

Congrats on the upcoming knot-tying. We praise God with you for the way he is bringing together so many passions in your life- this relationship, the orphanage, Ecuador, etc.

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home