My Photo
Name:
Location: Bogota, Cundinamarca, Colombia

I moved to Bogota, Colombia to start an orphanage two and half years ago and its been a wonderful journey, and now I continue to work with the orphanage from Portland, Oregon.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Bienvenidos a Bogota

Family and Friends,

Like I said in my last quick email, I arrived in Bogota safely at 2pm on tuesday. It is almost too overwhelming to write this because there is so much to write about. So, I will write this blog in a choose your own adventure form. The first part will be my thoughts of my time arriving and living here so far. The second part will be about Bogota and the third about the church and my responsibilities here. Without further adue (sp?), I bring you my life in Bogota.

Many people asked me before I went if I was scared to go for such a long time and truthfully my response everytime was "no, not really". However, after leaving Jay and May (my friends who dropped me off at LAX) and boarding the plane, the reality of leaving hit me. For most of tuesday I was mix of anxiety, fear, loneliness and yet excited for the adventure at the same time. When I was waiting in the airport in San Jose, Costa Rica for my next flight, the reality of leaving the familiar hit me when I realized everyone was talking in spanish. There would be no more bantering with Justin and cracking jokes with Lauren, Nicole and Jay. The only thing that might seem to role off my tongue would be lo siento (im sorry). However, I kept reminding myself of the adventure that I was about to embark on and that helped hold the fear back. Flying into Bogota, I thought it inconceivable for there to possibly be a flat spot in all of Colombia, however, sure enough there is. I got off the plane and after a wait I finally exited customs, got my bag and was greeted by a girl who worked for Radissa hotels, and was also from the church. She spoke english pretty well and was shocked to know that I spoke spanish. She quickly radioed for Pastor libni to pull up and get me. I will go into more detail about the people here a little later. Over the past 2-3 days I have felt like a total stranger and like a church leader who had been working there for years. My spanish is doing quite well and everyone is shocked that I know spanish (they apparently thought i didn´t know any), which is a huge miracle. I have been accepted very well by everyone. I feel that it will only be a matter of time before I can become a regular face and hopefully a close friend. Hopefully this wont take too long.

If you´re still reading give yourself a pat on the back and if you finish it all, treat yourself to a little treat, chocolate, ice cream, a turkey...etc.

Bogota is classic Latin America in soo many ways and very different from my experience in Central America. There are several indicators that one is in latin america: 1) there is absolutely no organization in traffic and yet everyone knows what they´re doing 2) when driving you can pass a horse drawn cart with corn stacked 10 feet high, only to be passed by a motorcycle with a washing machine on the back(you can rent hourly) that is carrining dangerously between buses and trucks 3) there is a soccer field about everyother block. The average standard of living seems to be a bit higher than those in Central Amer. However, poverty is as obvious as the trash strewn all over the streets. Like I said earlier the people here are very nice and the people at the church are really warm and welcoming. Pastor Libni is very generous and has a huge passion to reach the needy around Bogota. His brother Daniel is also very nice and he deals with adult ministries at the church. Both are very well educated and speak Portugese and Daniel knows a little english. Yesterday I met alot of the youth at the church and they were really cool (or here they say Chevere for anything good). And because Justin and Ryan asked, yes there are some girls that go to the church that are pretty. I actually had a long talk with one of them and we are practically engaged. Just joking (no, seriously thought dad send money for ring, fast). Ha ha.

My job right now is to help raise funds and create a plan with Libni and Daniel for the orphanage. I thought they had facilities, but they dont and so right now we are brainstorming how we are going to afford to rent a place next door or better yet, buy it. I will be completely honest, I feel a bit overwhelmed. They are being very good about not just dumping it all on me but the burden is big enough that my part seems quite big. If any of you know of any foundations that give internationally email me please. I feel like the next couple weeks/months could be spent writing grants and raising money just to start. We are faced with a catch 22 situation because the government will not let us adopt the kids until they have inspected our facility, and businesses are hesitant to help unless they see our facility. In short, we need money like a fat kid needs a little debbie snack. Any suggestions are welcome. However, the upshot of all this is that we HAVE TO RELY on God, this orphanage will not happen if its up to me.

Thank you for reading all of this, go treat yourself to a little snack. I love you all.

Jacobo

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jacob, Awesome description of your first couple of days. You really help the reader imagine what it would be like to be there.
Blessings brother.
-Thad

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't allow the magnitude of the task to overwhelm you, Jacob. God will give you everything you need to do what He is asking of you. Seek Him first and the effects will care for themselves.

Matt T

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Chort--

JT

12:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dacob... Miss ya man. Sounds like God is using you in mighty ways. I'm jealous... but it's a good jealousy... if there is such a thing! Looking forward to the time we can meet, and worship together again. Grace and Peace,

Javid

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home